YUSHUKAN APPLIED KARATE
“Bridging the gap between the past and the present with the practical application of karate”
HISTORY OF KARATE
- Karate originated on the island of Okinawa and was know as ‘Te’ meaning hand. It eventually made its way to Japan where it was renamed Karate, meaning empty hand. After WW2 Karate spread rapidly throughout the world. Through the rapid spread many of its secrets were lost.
- Karate is mainly based on self defence but it also promotes many other areas, one of which is the development of good character.
- Yushukan (Yushu – Meaning Excellence & Kan – Meaning School) is a style of Goju Ryu which is a close quarter based karate style that focuses on hard and soft techniques and developing the internal power of the body. Many styles of karate have emerged over the years. All offer the character developing benefits but they vary in the way they approach training and self defence.
FOUNDER AND HEAD INSTRUCTOR
SENSEI SAM SEIGERS. 4TH DAN
- Sensei Sam has been training in traditional karate for over two decades. He has trained and taught karate all over Australia and also taught in the United States.
- He is passionate about the art and loves to pass his knowledge on to future generations.
- Sensei Sam now teaches locally and is currently training with the Goju Ryu Seiwakai Organization to continue his own learning. He founded Yushukan Applied Karate in 2020.
- Sempai (assistant) Luke has been training in martial arts since he was young. He joined with Yushukan Applied Karate under Sensei Sam in 2018.
- Luke has diligently committed himself to training and was elevated to the level of Sempai (assistant) where he trains with Sensei Sam to improve both his karate and his teaching skills.
WHAT IS APPLIED KARATE?
- It is a wholistic way to train in traditional karate by learning and internalizing the movements of karate (Kata – pre-arranged patterns & Kihon – Basic techniques) then training the applications in order to be able to use them in real life situations
- It is also about understanding what the old masters knew about self protection
- We use modern training methods and equipment to bring traditional karate
to life and into todays world
WHO CAN JOIN?
At Yushukan Karate we work with people who want to improve their overall health and fitness both mentally and physically and gain valuable self-defense skills. Most people struggle to find a fitness activity that provides results and maintains their interest over time. As well as that, another struggle is finding a martial art that suits you and provides a place where you feel comfortable and encouraged. Yushukan is that place.
CLASSES INVOLVE BASIC TRAINING, FITNESS, PAD WORK AND PARTNER WORK. ALL AGES ARE WELCOME TO TRAIN AND PARENTS CAN EVEN TRAIN ALONGSIDE THEIR CHILDREN.
LOCATIONS & TIMES
COOLANGATTA / TWEED
Cooly Rec Club
2 Gerrard St, Coolangatta
Wednesday NSW Time
5.30 – 6.30pm
6.30 – 7.30/8.30pm
Cabarita Baptist Church Hall
101 Cabarita Rd, Bogangar
5.30 – 6.30pm
6.30 – 7.30/8.30pm
New Classes Coming Soon
Annual Membership $75 Per person
Covers Insurance, Japan Karate Federation
Affiliation (due June 30th)
Class Fees (Paid per term in advance)
1hr Class – $180 per term ($18 per class)
2 hr Class $250 per term ($25 per class)
Unlimited Pass $400 per term ($7 per class)
Family discounts apply
Terms are 10 week
OVER THE YEARS WE HAVE FOUND THAT SINGLE TRIAL LESSONS OR LOOKING AT A CLASS DOES NOT LEND ITSELF TO REALLY DISCOVERING WHAT KARATE IS ALL ABOUT. MOST PEOPLE NEED AT LEAST 4-8 CLASSES TO GET THE FEEL OF WHAT TRAINING IN KARATE IS ALL ABOUT.
WE BACK OURSELVES WITH A MONEY BACK GUARANTEE WHEN YOU JOIN TODAY ON OUR 5-LESSON TRIAL FOR ONLY $50
GIVE IT A TRY – YOU WILL LOVE IT!
*IF YOU COMPLETE ALL 5 LESSONS AND FEEL THAT YOU DIDN’T GET
ANY VALUE FROM THE CLASSES, WE WILL REFUND YOUR MONEY