After being seriously injured in an unprovoked assault over 25 years ago as a teenager, Sam decided that this would never happen to him again and if it did he would be ready. Since that time our dedicated instructor Sam has trained in the art of traditional karate studying under many instructors in both Australia and the USA. Now training under and learning from the Senior members of the Seiwakai branch of Goju and bringing his own knowledge and experience to the art Yushukan Applied Karate mixes the old traditional ways of training with new methods designed to give life to the art of karate, a new energy, and an effective training method of self defense.
YUSHUKAN APPLIED KARATE
“Bridging the gap between the past and the present with the practical application of karate”
HISTORY OF KARATE
- Karate originated on the island of Okinawa and was know as ‘Te’ meaning hand. It eventually made its way to Japan where it was renamed Karate, meaning empty hand. After WW2 Karate spread rapidly throughout the world. Through the rapid spread many of its secrets were lost.
- Karate is mainly based on self defence but it also promotes many other areas, one of which is the development of good character.
- Yushukan (Yushu – Meaning Excellence & Kan – Meaning School) is a style of Goju Ryu which is a close quarter based karate style that focuses on hard and soft techniques and developing the internal power of the body. Many styles of karate have emerged over the years. All offer the character developing benefits but they vary in the way they approach training and self defence.
FOUNDER AND HEAD INSTRUCTOR
SENSEI SAM SEIGERS. 4TH DAN
- Sensei Sam has been training in traditional karate for over two decades. He has trained and taught karate all over Australia and also taught in the United States.
- He is passionate about the art and loves to pass his knowledge on to future generations.
- Sensei Sam now teaches locally and is currently training with the Goju Ryu Seiwakai Organization to continue his own learning. He founded Yushukan Applied Karate in 2020.
- Sempai (assistant) Luke has been training in martial arts since he was young. He joined with Yushukan Applied Karate under Sensei Sam in 2018.
- Luke has diligently committed himself to training and was elevated to the level of Sempai (assistant) where he trains with Sensei Sam to improve both his karate and his teaching skills.
WHAT IS APPLIED KARATE?
- It is a wholistic way to train in traditional karate by learning and internalizing the movements of karate (Kata – pre-arranged patterns & Kihon – Basic techniques) then training the applications in order to be able to use them in real life situations
- It is also about understanding what the old masters knew about self protection
- We use modern training methods and equipment to bring traditional karate
to life and into todays world
WHO CAN JOIN?
At Yushukan Karate we work with people who want to improve their overall health and fitness both mentally and physically and gain valuable self-defense skills. Most people struggle to find a fitness activity that provides results and maintains their interest over time. As well as that, another struggle is finding a martial art that suits you and provides a place where you feel comfortable and encouraged. Yushukan is that place.
CLASSES INVOLVE BASIC TRAINING, FITNESS, PAD WORK AND PARTNER WORK. ALL AGES ARE WELCOME TO TRAIN AND PARENTS CAN EVEN TRAIN ALONGSIDE THEIR CHILDREN.
LOCATIONS & TIMES
COOLANGATTA / TWEED
Cooly Rec Club
2 Gerrard St, Coolangatta
Wednesday NSW Time
5.30 – 6.30pm
6.30 – 7.30/8.30pm
Cabarita Baptist Church Hall
101 Cabarita Rd, Bogangar
5.30 – 6.30pm
6.30 – 7.30/8.30pm
New Classes Coming Soon
Annual Membership $75 Per person
Covers Insurance, Japan Karate Federation
Affiliation (due June 30th)
Class Fees (Paid per term in advance)
1hr Class – $180 per term ($18 per class)
2 hr Class $250 per term ($25 per class)
Unlimited Pass $400 per term ($7 per class)
Family discounts apply
Terms are 10 week
OVER THE YEARS WE HAVE FOUND THAT SINGLE TRIAL LESSONS OR LOOKING AT A CLASS DOES NOT LEND ITSELF TO REALLY DISCOVERING WHAT KARATE IS ALL ABOUT. MOST PEOPLE NEED AT LEAST 4-8 CLASSES TO GET THE FEEL OF WHAT TRAINING IN KARATE IS ALL ABOUT.
WE BACK OURSELVES WITH A MONEY BACK GUARANTEE WHEN YOU JOIN TODAY ON OUR 5-LESSON TRIAL FOR ONLY $50
GIVE IT A TRY – YOU WILL LOVE IT!
*IF YOU COMPLETE ALL 5 LESSONS AND FEEL THAT YOU DIDN’T GET
ANY VALUE FROM THE CLASSES, WE WILL REFUND YOUR MONEY
We train in traditional methods to learn the timeless self defense principles of Goju Ryu karate that have been passed down through the ages. We seek to understand what the masters of old knew about combat and how to best protect oneself from someone wishing to do us harm. We do this through many ways but the most unique is how we read and study kata like a text book and bring it to life in the dojo.
Many martial arts practitioners have been practicing the kata for many years without truly delving into ‘why’ they are used or ‘why’ they were even invented. I myself was one of these practitioners until I started looking deeper into kata and learning its true meaning. This is when the light bulb came on and karate suddenly had a whole new meaning.
Our classes contain methods of training fundamentals, fitness training and dojo sparring however our overarching goal is to be able to use our kata and bring it to life so it has meaning, purpose and can be applied in a distress situation.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU
At Yushukan Karate we work with people who want to improve their overall health and fitness both mentally and physically and gain valuable self-defense skills. Most people struggle to find a fitness activity that provides results and maintains their interest over time. As well as that, another struggle is finding a martial art that suits you and provides a place where you feel comfortable and encouraged.
Applied karate is interesting, practical and is focused on results and continual learning which eliminates boredom over time. It also suits most people because it’s essentially the original MMA but without the ego which makes it welcoming and fun.
After training you can expect to feel…
and much much more….
Karate is an art that keeps on giving and the more you pour yourself into training the more you fill up and the more rewards there are to gain for all aspects of your life.
People About Us
I have been training with Sensei Sam Seigers since 2015. I have met some amazing people and made great friends . Sensei Sam Seigers is motivating and supportive, and challenges each student to maximize their potential whether they are an adult or child. I’m as fit and flexible as I have been in 20 years and can recommend karate to anyone interested. My 12 year old son has just started training and is loving it…would recommend Sensei Sam and Yushukan Karate to anyone
Yushukan is an exceptional karate school!! Sensei Sam is a brilliant teacher, who knows how to keep his students engaged and supports them to hone their skills in this fine art. It has been a delight to watch my niece take such an interest in karate through Sensei Sam’s teachings; she looks forward to classes every week and I can already see her confidence growing, as well as her self discipline and positive mindset. Highly recommend!
Yushukan karate is a traditional martial art with a modern applied focus. Sensei Sam Seigers delivers technical instruction that is embodied giving his students a solid foundation on which to develop a deeper understanding of the art physically, mentally & spiritually. Whether a beginner or more advanced student, child or adult there is something for everyone on offer through Yushukan karate.